Saturday, April 3, 2010

Original Eco-Hero Turns 70


I would have posted this on Thursday, Ms. Maathai's birthday, but that was April 1st, and I was afraid my readers might have doubted the veracity of the story, and I would have had to come back with some trite cliche like "Kenya believe it?" So I opted for the 2-day cooling off period.

Anyway, the name Wangari Muta Maathai (born in Kenya, April 1, 1940) probably doesn't mean a lot to most people, but she has been a vanguard of environmental activism since the early 1970s and in 2004 became the first African woman to win the Nobel Prize for Peace for “her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace.”

Maathia has been on the forefront of numerous environmental, political and feminist movements around the world for several decades now. She's also the author of many books including "The Challenge for Africa" which came out last year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails